Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Giving up an f/stop to go Lighter!

Traveling long distances and working in the challenging cold climates of the Arctic and Antarctic have led me to rethink the kind of equipment I bring with me. One thing that is becoming an issue is the weight of the gear I am lugging around both in transit and on the ground. The other thing is issues with carrying on my gear when overhead bin space is tight.

To combat the carrying on issue, I am no longer using my Think Tank International Airport Security Rolling Bag. Twice I have been asked to check it in at the gate and suffice to say, I made it very clear that was impossible since there was over $20k worth of gear in the bag. In one case they would not budge and I had to take out my most delicate gear, stuff it in my backpack and also handhold my 500mm lens. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.  I really think there is going to come a time when roll-on bags will no longer be allowed in the cabin, so it is time to change my strategy!

So I decided to go with a backpack, the now discontinued GuraGear Bataflae 32L. As much as a backpack "seems" to draw less attention, lugging it around for extended periods of time is tough, especially when it is fully loaded.

As for my lenses, here is what I have done so far....

AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm F2.8G ED replaced with AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR

Weight difference = 31.7oz versus 25.00oz

AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED replaced with AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR

Weight difference = 50.5oz versus 30.00oz

Total weight savings = 26.57oz or 1.660lbs

As much as I hated giving up such incredible lenses, I find I am using them less and less and leaving them at home. I can't afford to go out and buy additional lenses, so my only option was to sell and replace. Losing one stop of light right now does not seem to be an issue, especially with the ISO capability of my D500 and D750. I also like the additional reach on the 24-120mm, particularly for travel photography.

A third camera body I am also leaving at home on my upcoming trip to Antarctica is the D3s. Although it is built like a tank, once again the weight has made the decision for me. Not sure yet if I will sell this too. Since acquiring the D500, this is becoming the body of choice for bird and wildlife photography, so we will see.

As for selling my lenses, I managed to get far more on eBay as opposed to the amount offered by online camera stores. I was offered only $750.00 for my "pristine condition" 24-70mm, but sold it on eBay for $1100.00. Quite a big difference indeed!  The 70-200mm got me close to $1,000.00 which again, I was offered only $750.00 to sell or trade in.

So I leave for Antarctica in two weeks and we will see how both the carry on procedure goes AND how these lenses ultimately work out! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!