Friday, June 2, 2017

"Behind the Lens" - Wild Planet Magazine

Seeing one's images published is really quite exciting and validates the preparation and effort involved, especially when seen in an international publication.

In the June 2017 of Wild Planet Magazine my image of snow geese blasting off last December at Bosque del Apache in New Mexico appropriately made it to the "Behind Lens" feature detailing how I managed to capture the shot.


My explanation was as follows: During a recent visit to Bosque del Apache, I wanted to be a little more creative and experiment with motion blurs.  I also found this a useful way to extend my shooting time when lighting was not optimal.  This image was shot in the late morning in bright light. By using the lowest ISO and smallest aperture, in addition to a -2/3 EV adjustment, I was able to zoom in and capture the motion and the mayhem as a massive number of snow geese were blasting off."

Shot with my Nikon D750 and the Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 ED VR AF-S lens, my settings were: 1/30s, f/32 @ ISO 50, -2/3 EV

Using slow shutter speeds is a wonderful way to create abstract, artistic renditions which in turn make fabulous large scale display pieces.  This one in particular is a favorite of mine as it truly captures both the scene I witnessed and the excitement and awe I felt as I watched these beautiful birds take to the skies en masse.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!