Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Helping Ourselves by Helping Nature

I know this is a difficult time for many and priorities have changed in various aspects of our lives. But if like me, you now have some extra time on your hands, there are ways to put that time to good use and where social distancing is possible. Nature heals and this is a wonderful way to feed our spirits when it is easy to feel low.

If you are able to get out in nature, many organizations are in need of volunteers, as crucial funds diminish and programs come to a halt. This in turn will have a drastic impact on the wildlife, the communities and the environments they support. Wherever your interest lies, whether that is nature related or something else entirely, there is something for everyone.

This year I officially became a volunteer with the Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History with an interest in their Black Oystercatcher Monitoring Program. This involves observing nesting birds in various locations in the Monterey Bay area, gathering and documenting data as part of an ongoing research study.

It is a win, win situation for me and the birds, as it not only makes me feel good and useful, but I also get to see and photograph these beautiful birds. I was also recently highlighted in the "Volunteer Spotlight "section of the museum's newsletter.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!